Sunday, November 18, 2012

Did Ben Franklin Really Want the Turkey to Be the National Bird?

Did Ben Franklin Really Want the Turkey to Be the National Bird?

Ben Franklin was quite the guy.    Not only was he one of the founding fathers of the USA that we know and love today, but he is the person that that the town of Franklin, MA was named after.   <a href="http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=27568&picture=turkey">Turkey</a> by Peter Griffin

25 years ago, when I started selling real estate in Franklin MA, and as I was familiarizing myself with the community, I stumbled upon the story of Ben Franklin and the first public library.  

 Now, every child that has grown up in the town of Franklin has heard the story.   Since learning it, I have delighted in telling the tale to every person that has had the pleasure of having a guided tour of the town in my car. 

As we pass the town library, I begin the story.   I love to see folks eyes light up at the thought of Ben sending books instead of a bell.   You have to admit it is a pretty interesting story, right?

As legendary as that story is, Ben's thoughts on the Turkey instead of the Bald Eagle becoming a National symbol has become legendary as well. 

The thought of a turkey attacking a Redcoat simply makes me smile.
 
To tell you the truth thought, the thought of having turkey for dinner on this coming Thursday also makes me smile.    I am grateful that he shared his thoughts with just his daughter! 

Happy Thanksgiving!


Carol-Ann Palmieri
Al and Cal Realty Group


508-494-9061

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading about Ben's thoughts on the Turkey. When first thinking about the turkey being the national symbol, one might laugh, but I have known some pretty aggressive turkeys! Apparently, Ben did too!

    Thanks for sharing this timely, fun & informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I was thinking too. Remember that group chasing down a cop in Holliston that year? Thanks for checking it out.

    ReplyDelete