Thursday, March 8, 2012

Has Home and Garden TV Changed your Real Estate Expectations?

Has Home and Garden TV Changed your Real Estate Expectations?

I don't know about you, but I am addicted to HGTV.    ( I am also addicted to reality TV, so clearly my reality might be a bit off.)

Seriously.   As if I don't already live, eat, sleep and dream real estate,  I can't resist tuning in to "House Hunters."     I especially love the international show.    And what about those makeover shows?    (where the material costs $1000, but the labor appears to be free!)Television

I am curious?  While these shows are entertaining and give food for thought, has HGTV changed a Buyers expectations of what that "perfect" home looks like?

Buyers seem to be leaning towards the homes that have a better presentation.  They are no longer willing to look beyond the clutter or envision themselves tearing wall paper down or imagining what a kitchen would look like without those orange counter tops.

But, it's not just geared towards Buyers.

Has Home and Garden TV changed a Sellers expectation of how a Realtor works? 

On several occasions, I have watched a show where the Realtor actually takes the Seller out on a home tour of similar homes before listing.   The intention is to help the Seller position their home in the marketplace.

While I don't do this, technology has afforded us the next best way to take a Seller into each of the comparable homes.   With trusty IPad in hand, we can take them on a virtual tour of their competitor's homes. 

Also to keep abreast of the current trends, Al and I offer a staging consult for all of our Sellers.     We feel that it sets our Sellers apart from the competition, helps to draw attention to the places we want to draw attention to,  and helps meet  Buyers expectations.  
 
 I guess I would say that HGTV has changed my outlook a bit.

I am curious, is it changing Buyers and Sellers thoughts of what to expect in the real world?   

Carol-Ann Palmieri
Al and Cal Realty Group


508-494-9061

1 comment: